You all will agree with me- body odor is real and that’s a major turnoff. It can strip away your self-confidence. Dealing with it is so embarrassing, certain body parts such as underarms and feet release an unpleasant odor when the sweat glands are active. However, sweat is odorless and the unpleasant smell comes from bacteria interacting with the sweat on the skin’s surface.
TOP 5 REASONS OF BODY ODOR
1. PERSONAL HYGIENE:Poor personal hygiene is a major cause of BO. Make sure not to skip a shower or brushing your teeth. Also dry yourself thoroughly after taking your bath as bacteria thrive in damp areas.
2. DIETWhat you eat specifically influences your odor. Foods that contain sulfur, like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage, can influence the manner in which you smell. Onions and garlic are the most guilty ones. Curries and other extraordinary flavors may make you stink. Focus on what you eat.
3. CLOTHES:Natural fibers like cotton, wool, and silk allow your skin to breathe; they soak up a sweat from your skin and allow it to evaporate. While synthetic fibers like rayon, nylon and polyester trap moisture from the skin inviting bacteria to breed.
4. STRESS:Stress sweat is smellier than other types of sweat. This sweat fluid is odorless until it mixes with the bacteria in your skin causing a pungent smell.
5. MEDICATIONS:Some medications as a side effect make you sweat. And this means more body odor. So next time you pop a pill make sure to consult your doctor or read the fine print to see if sweat is the side effect of your medication.
NOW LET’S SEE HOW TO DEAL WITH BODY ODOR.
1. BAKING SODA AND CORNSTARCH:One of the most effective remedies in getting rid of your underarm odor mixing equal parts of baking soda and cornstarch with rose water or lemon juice and applying it under your arms. Both of these powders absorb moisture and kill the odor-causing bacteria. Leave the mixture for about 10-15 minutes till it dries then wash it off with cold water.
2. APPLY APPLE CIDER VINEGAR:Apple cider vinegar is known for its antibacterial properties balance the pH and eliminates odor-causing bacteria. Dab it under your underarms with the help of cotton before you take a shower every day. Make sure not to apply after you have shaved your underarms. It is always best to do a small patch test to see how your skin reacts.
3. LEMON JUICE:The acidic nature of lemons lowers the pH level that makes it difficult for bacteria to survive. All you need to do is rub a slice of lemon on your underarms. Lemons are excellent in lightening your skin if you want to take care of your dark armpits. Do it regularly for best results.
4. TEA TREE OIL:The antibacterial properties of tea tree oil ward off the bacteria and fungus present in the skin. All you need is add 2 drops of tea tree oil with 1 cup of water, mix it well. Fill it in a spray bottle and apply as regular deodorant anywhere in your body that need sweat relief. If you have sensitive skin then go for a patch test. Avoid using in sensitive areas like around your eyes or around your private region.
5. APPLY WITCH HAZEL:Witch hazel is naturally antiseptic and the astringent properties minimize the size of pores on our skin. So fewer pores mean less sweat you produce. They lower the skin’s pH which makes it impossible for bacteria to survive. Just add 10-12 drops of witch hazel in a cup of water and mix well. You can fill it up in a spray bottle and use as a deodorant to get rid of the odor.
LET ME SHARE SOME QUICK TIPS:
- Apart from this, the most important thing is to keep a check on your diet.
- Drink lots of water because water flushes out bodily toxins and when toxins go so does your BO.
- Also, don’t forget to shave your underarms regularly. Hairs under your arms can create a swampy environment for bacteria and hair being porous can absorb odor.